Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Christmas in the Boone household

We have so many family traditions around the holiday time frame. We put the Christmas tree up the day after Thanksgiving (we did it two days after this year). We look at each ornament and remember the year that we got it and the little memory that goes along with it. We listen to Christmas music and dance around. We make all sorts of crafts for people. The elves come to play with us. We look at lights on Christmas Eve and figure out which ones we like best. We do Christmas Eve boxes with Jammie's, a movie, and some sort of candy in it to watch that night. This year, I had a few different places I wanted to visit, especially since this is our last Christmas here in Maryland. It just didn't happen though. We were so busy and with Maddie's recovery that we were doing things way out of whack. It didn't help that Jeff didn't have stand down this year. 

I did get to bake some different kinds of cookies and pass them out to neighbors. We even went caroling at a friends house. I even sang! I guess there's a first for everything. Maddie and I got to make some from scratch sugar cookies and cut them with cookie cutters. I made the icing from scratch, too.  It was a new experience. Jeff helped us decorate them. It was fun. I am glad that even though she may not have always felt good, she was still able to do a few of our yearly traditions. 

Our gingerbread village was an adventure this year. Haha. Normally, we buy one house and let her decorate it. This year, the elves brought her a village that consisted of 4 small houses so we could all have one to do, especially when we spent a lot of times indoors this year. Jeff and Maddie had to do some teamwork to get the pieces glued together. Lol. That wasn't as easy as it looked. The next day, we decorated them. That was fun. 8 o'clock in the morning and we are playing with sugar. Haha. I did my house and Maddie did hers, Jeff's, and Jackson's. I don't think we will win any contests, but it was fun doing it anyway. 

I can't believe that it was Jackson's first Christmas. My baby is 9 months old. Where has the time gone? Anyway, he was having fun taking the tissue out of the bag and ripping the wrapping paper. He was very much content with pulling things out of the bag over and over and playing with the bag itself. He couldn't care less about the gifts itself. Typical baby. Haha. 

Maddie ripped through her presents. She couldn't contain her excitement this year. I asked maddie if she could only have one thing for Christmas, what would that gift be? She told me a bike. I asked her if she could have one more gift, what would it be? She originally said a new bed( I had to explain to her that the bed she got last year is her forever bed. Haha. A very pretty full size bed is big enough for her while she lives in my house).  She said an iPad and I explained she may be too small for that. I guess that wasn't true since she ended up getting an iPad mini from my parents. Haha. She was so thrilled with her presents. Her top three favorite presents were her microscope, science books that came with an electronic pen that reads over 4,000 facts to her, and her Little Mermaid Barbie play set. 

My aunt and uncle came over for dinner and to exchange presents. For our dinner, we had ham, twice baked potato casserole, sweet potato casserole, corn soufflĂ©, rolls, orange jello with mandarin oranges in it, macaroni salad, and then a homemade peach pie and our homemade cookie assortment for dessert.  We exchanged presents with them and that is when maddie received her biggest wish- her bike. She was so excited. We took it out for a ride a couple of days later, but she's still a touch too small. What can I say.... I planned for her to ride it in the spring, not in December and definitely not in December where it's still in the 60's - low 70's. 

Overall, I would say that it was a very memorable Christmas. I took many pictures and videos. We made lots of memories doing as many things as I could squeeze in, and ate a lot of yummy food. I love the holiday season. I,especially, love it when I get to spend it with my family and make these memories that I can always look back on. I am so blessed to love on them and call them mine. 



On another note, tomorrow is New Year's Eve. Since Maddie was sick on Thanksgiving and recovering from her surgery on Christmas Day, I am hoping to make New Years celebrations a little more fun than usual. We will be devouring some appetizers that I will be making. I have games for us to play. Our traditional show we watch. Of course it wouldn't be complete without Maddie's favorite "special" drink to ring in the new year. Let's hope tomorrow is fun as I hope! 


Daddy got coal from Santa! 

























Until next time.. Have fun, be safe, and enjoy life. 



Lori 







No comments:

Post a Comment